Bible Study onThis Bible study on loyalty can be used by one person alone or in a small group. It is short (20 to 30 mins) but if you read each passage, reflect on it, and discuss it, you'll gain a good sense of what loyalty really means, its demands, and its rewards.
Character - Loyalty
In the dictionary, the word loyal means unswerving in allegiance as 1) faithful allegiance to one’s sovereign or government, 2) faithful to a private person to whom fidelity is due, 3) faithful to a cause, ideal or custom. Synonyms are: faithful, allegiance, devotion, dedication, constant, unwavering, steady, unfailing.
What’s the difference between being loyal to a local sports team, say the Giants or Rams, and being loyal to the coach of a team for which you play? (Hint: notice that the definition above implies that what you are loyal to should be deserving of your loyalty.)
Think of the people, organizations, teams, causes, etc. to which you are (or have been) loyal. Which ones are deserving of your loyalty? Which ones are not?
What does the Bible have to say about loyalty and being loyal?
How is loyalty different from friendship? How is it the same as friendship? (There's a real difference. Look up both words in the dictionary.)
- Loyalty is unwavering in good times and bad. (Proverbs 17:17)
- Loyalty is what you do, not what you say. (Matthew 26:33-35 and 26:69-75)
- Loyalty is in your heart. It is willing and not reluctant. (Psalm 78:8)
- Loyalty can be demanding. (Exodus 17:8-13)
- Loyalty may involve sacrifice. (2 Chronicles 11:13-16)
- Loyalty to the Lord will be rewarded. (Psalm 84:10-11) When this psalm says “those whose walk is blameless” it refers to Genesis 17:1 when the Lord appeared to Abraham and said to him “walk with me and be blameless” meaning that Abraham would receive the Lord’s promises if he was faithful and obedient.
- Disloyalty will be punished. Because Edom deserted Israel in its time of need, "I will bring you plummeting down," said the Lord. (Obadiah 1:4-14, especially verses 4 and 11)
How do you feel when a friend proves himself loyal or faithful to you?
How are you at being a loyal and faithful friend?
Bible study courtesy of www.SwapMeetDave.com
(To print this page, set right and left magins to 0.5" and top and bottom margins to 0.7")
OTHER PAGES OF INTEREST
© 2005. Web site design by Dave Ahl, e-mail Z321go@aol.com